- Workplace innovation is a system of mutually reinforcing parts. When organisational practices are all pulling in the same direction it not only leads to remarkable results, but also helps to prevent the ‘innovation decay’ that happens when new ways of working are at odds with older, interdependent practices.
- Workplace innovation is a process, not a one-off. The more you involve people in decision-making and idea generation, the closer you move towards a sustainable momentum of workplace innovation in which continual hunger for better ways of working permeates everyone’s job. Each phase of workplace innovation generates shared learning and extends the horizon of possibilities.
- People shape organisations – but organisations also shape the people who work in them. Celebrate the workplace for its potential to use and develop our knowledge, skills and creativity to the fullest possible extent!
There is a simple checklist for change below. The full version, based on an extensive research study of why workplace change initiatives fail, can be downloaded here.
Go for it!
- Do the board and senior team understand that change will involve asking difficult questions and challenging established practices? Do you really have their support?
- Have you involved all the relevant stakeholders from the beginning? Does everyone understand how they will contribute to the journey?
- Have you anticipated the potential sources of resistance? What is the best way of dealing with it?
- What are the mechanisms for two-way communication throughout the change? How will you evaluate progress? How will stakeholders be involved in shared learning and adjustments to change processes and goals during the journey?
- How will you know whether you have succeeded? And how will you celebrate success?
- How will change be embedded and sustained?
[progressally_note note_id=’3′ allow_attachment=’yes’]
[progressally_note note_id=’4′ allow_attachment=’yes’]
Tutor’s tips: In the next 4 Elements it will help you to look at each of the workplace practices listed at the top of the page of each Theme and incorporate these into you answers.