Emotional Intelligence

You will notice that as part of this module you will do a PSI Emotional Intelligence Snapshot report and have coaching to support you on understanding your personal strengths and areas of development. Please contact us to arrange this. It requires a questionnaire taking approximately 20 minutes to complete.

Welcome to the Foundation Programme Emotional Intelligence (EI) module. Once completed, you will gain:

  • An understanding of emotional intelligence and its importance in the workplace.
  • An understanding of how emotional intelligence influences organisational culture, practice and performance, and its potential for enhancing the effectiveness of your change initiatives.
    The Emotionally Intelligent Leader section shows that self-awareness, the ability to manage one’s own emotions, and a sensitivity to the feelings of others is not just a pre-requisite for effective leadership, but also supports and sustains workplace innovation.

What is Emotional Intelligence?

Emotional Intelligence is the practice of managing one’s personality to be both personally and inter- personally effective. This is achieved through the habitual practice of thinking about feeling and feeling about thinking to guide one’s behaviour. The extent and effectiveness by which an individual does this is determined largely by their attitudes. (Maddox, 2014).

Goleman (2006) argues that only 25% of performance is down to cognitive intelligence, or IQ, whilst the remaining 75% is largely explained by emotional intelligence levels. To an important extent, EI governs the ways in which people deploy their IQ and their personality attributes. In short, people who work to acquire the mindset and behaviours associated with a high level of emotional intelligence are also learning to amplify their intellectual strengths and positive personality traits.

EI is about how well a person learns to manage their temperament and to harness their innate resources and potential: Personality + EI = Performance

Uncovering and understanding our attitudes and beliefs about ourselves and others plays a key role in EI. As we show below, people with high self-regard tend to demonstrate high regard for others and to value their contributions, helping to bring out their full potential. The reverse is also true, so the challenge is to identify and confront the negative aspects of how we see ourselves in order to improve both our personal effectiveness and our relationships with others.

Your EI Profile

Workplace innovation isn’t just about changing organisations. It also involves developing the people within them to their full potential – including you.

For these reasons, the PSI Emotional Intelligence Snapshot Profile provides the starting point for this EI module. It will help you to assess your own strengths and identify potential areas for improvement, focusing on those personal attributes associated with effective change leadership, building a climate of creativity, trust and engagement, and strengthening resilience.

The profiling exercise is informed by PSI Global’s model of emotional intelligence, and provides an organising framework for understanding effective human behaviour based on neurological evidence. There are two parts to the model:

  • Personal Intelligence: positive self-regard, self-awareness, and managing behaviour effectively.
  • Interpersonal Intelligence: positive regard for others, awareness of others, and managing relationships effectively.
    Your profile measures sixteen aspects of EI, analysing both Personal Intelligence and Interpersonal Intelligence in terms of Behaviour, Feeling and Attitude, in this snapshot report the top three strengths and development areas will be highlighted:

Emotional Intelligence is essentially about how an individual manages their personality. This is different to other measures of personality such as IQ. You may have undertaken psychometric tests that try to measure preferences and aspects of your personality – your temperament. These aspects are seen as relatively fixed.

EI is different because it focuses on aspects of your personality which you can learn to manage more effectively with understanding, commitment and practice.

Once your profile results are available, you’ll be able to discuss them in a one-to-one session with an EI specialist within our team. The session will cover three main questions:

  • what are your major strengths?
  • which areas would you like to improve?

After this session, you’ll be able to complete following Learning Log question, which asks you to record your answers to these three questions and to outline how you will address the areas for improvement.

Please also complete the Personal Reflection note, starting with your perceptions before you undertake the profiling exercise, and adding further reflections after the one-to-one session.


« Previous